Traffic safety is important. The need to be aware and alert at all times, on any road and even in the most routine circumstances, is key to traffic safety. This applies to students and drivers alike.
For those who drive, please take extra care in areas where children might be present and adjust to road conditions.
School staff periodically review street and traffic safety with students. Parents can help reinforce these safety messages with children at home. Below are some tips that might be helpful to review.
- Stop, look, and listen for traffic
- Only cross at corners and crosswalks
- Obey crossing signals
- Cross only if clear
- Cross when traffic has come to a complete stop; make eye contact with drivers to ensure they see you
- Walk on sidewalks. Where there are no sidewalks, walk as far away from traffic as possible, facing traffic
- Wear appropriate footwear to reduce the chances of slipping
- Do not be distracted—don’t text and walk or wear headphones or earbuds to play loud music
- Wear bright or light-coloured clothing or reflective strips when walking in dusk or darkness
- Never run into the street
- Do not play games near parked cars; play in a safe place away from traffic.
Let’s work together to make our community and our roads are as safe as possible.